Au Pair in Spain
We at UniSpain have recently teamed up with an established Spanish au pair agency to offer you the perfect way to combine a Spanish language course with the opportunity to work as an au pair in Spain. The au pair service is an exciting new program and is ideal for those wishing to spend a longer time in Spain and really immerse themselves in Spanish culture.
The concept of au pairing is to go abroad, live with a host family and care for their children. The family provides accommodation and meals, as well as a weekly allowance. Our au pair service matches you with a Spanish family as well as enrols you in a Spanish course.
Where can I go?
We offer three different locations within Spain:
- Madrid, the capital city of Spain, is the third biggest city in Europe. Famous for its museums, palaces and nightlife, there is always something to do here.
- The school is located in the Salamanca district and belongs to the Estudio Sampere group, teaching around 1900 foreign students per year.
|20 Spanish lessons + 4 cultural classes per week||Official Price||1475€||2175€||2750€||4070€|
There is an additional inscription fee of 39 eur charged by the school
Starting Dates20 Spanish lessons + 4 cultural classes per week
Absolute Beginner: 06 Mar 2017, 20 Mar 2017, 03 Apr 2017, 17 Apr 2017, 01 May 2017, 08 May 2017, 15 May 2017, 22 May 2017, 29 May 2017, 05 Jun 2017, 12 Jun 2017, 19 Jun 2017, 26 Jun 2017, 03 Jul 2017, 10 Jul 2017, 17 Jul 2017, 24 Jul 2017, 31 Jul 2017, 07 Aug 2017, 14 Aug 2017, 21 Aug 2017, 28 Aug 2017, 04 Sep 2017, 18 Sep 2017, 02 Oct 2017, 16 Oct 2017, 30 Oct 2017, 13 Nov 2017, 27 Nov 2017, 11 Dec 2017.
Other Levels: Every Monday.More Information
- Located in the Northern autonomous community of Navarra, Pamplona is famed for the running of the bulls which takes place in July during the festival of San Fermín.
- The school is located in the centre of the city, and arranges various extra-curricular activities from nature trails to skiing and visits to local vineyards and craft shops.
|20 Spanish lessons per week||Official Price||1320€||1860€||2380€|
There is an additional inscription fee of 60 eur charged by the school
Starting Dates20 Spanish lessons per week
All Levels: Every Monday.More Information
- Granada is located in the Southern region of Andalusia, and has a large student population. Home to the famous Alhambra, Granada is also known for its Moorish tearooms, flamenco tablaos and tapas bars.
- The school is located in the historic area of Albayzín, and class sizes can be as low as 2, going up to a maximum of 8.
|20 Spanish lessons per week||Official Price||845€||1225€||1585€||2305€|
Starting Dates20 Spanish lessons per week
All Levels: Every Monday.More Information
How much will I earn?
The allowance received varies according to the family and time of year, but the minimum is €75 per week.
How much does the service cost?
We charge €200 to match you to a family but if you sign up for a minimum of 8 weeks at any of the schools listed above, the service will be free.
What will my work schedule look like?
You will be expected to work between 20-25 hours per week, spread over 5 days a week (occasionally you may also have to work Saturdays).
What sort of tasks will I have to do?
Your tasks will involve various aspects of childcare: playing with the children, taking them to and from school, teaching them English, bathing them and preparing their food. You may also occasionally be asked to help out with household chores as well.
If I will pick up Spanish simply by living with a Spanish family, why should I pay for a Spanish language course?
When learning a language, it is imperative to have a solid understanding of the grammar. This is something that must be learnt and taking a language course will provide you with this foundation. Secondly, by signing up for a Spanish course you will be able to learn Spanish at a much faster pace. Bear in mind that as an au pair you will be spending the majority of your time with children, and therefore if relying solely on learning via this method, you may end up speaking Spanish typical of children, as opposed to ‘correct’ Spanish. In addition, as you will be spending most of your time with either children or adults, you may feel lonely. At a language school, you can make friends with people of your own age, as well as participating in the extra-curricular activities organised by the school.
When can I start?
This depends entirely on how long it takes to find a suitable family.
How long can I spend working as an au pair?
The minimum is 3 months, although au pairs usually spend between 6 and 12 months in their chosen country.
Will I have to take Spanish classes throughout the whole duration of my stay?
No, you can decide for how long you want to take Spanish classes. We recommend a minimum of 12 weeks, and remember that if you book a course lasting at least 8 weeks, you will not have to pay a fee in order for us to find you a family.
Who can sign up to the au pair scheme?
Anybody can work as an au pair, however, most families prefer girls of between 18 and 28 years of age.
Do I have to be an English native?
Yes, we are afraid that this scheme is only open to those that are native English-speakers.
If I have any problem with the family can I be relocated?
Yes, we are here to assist you throughout the entire process- before, during and after your stay in Spain. If there are any problems then we will intervene, and if after assessing the situation we feel that it is necessary then we will relocate you at no extra cost.
What type of families do you work with?
There are rigorous selection procedures in place when choosing both families and au pairs. We have legal support and always provide personalised attention rapidly.
What if you cannot find me a suitable family?
If we are unable to match you to a suitable family then we will simply return your full deposit. Of course, you can still opt to participate in a standard Spanish course, with normal accommodation.
How does the process work?
- Register for the service (there is a link to the registration form below) and pay the initial deposit of €200.
- Then, we will send you a detailed form to fill out which will provide us with a deeper understanding of what you are looking for (for example the city in which you would like to live, your preferences, the ages of the children you would like to care for, etc.). This will help us to match you to a family. You will also need to send us the following documents: cover letter, photographs, criminal record certificate and a basic medical certificate.
- Next, there will be an interview with us (either in person or online), and we will provide you with more information. We will then present you the profile and photographs of an interested family.
- The two of you will have a conversation over Skype and if both sides are in agreement, we will close the contract.
- Once you have been successfully matched with a family and have agreed a starting date, we will then book the Spanish course.
Benefits of au pairing
- It is a low-cost way to learn a language and experience life in another country. Accommodation and meals are provided, as well as a weekly allowance. Therefore it is ideal for those on a tight budget.
- By living with a family, you are immersed not only in Spanish language but also the culture. You will rapidly adapt to every aspect of the Spanish way of life- mealtimes, siestas, cuisine, etc. If the family travels then you will usually go with them.
- It is good for those going to live abroad for the first time- you will have the stability of having a family and a home. Therefore you won’t need to worry about finding a flat or any other concerns associated with moving abroad; you will receive help and support from your family and they will help you to get used to the new country.
Why sign up to the UniSpain au pair service?
We have recently collaborated with an excellent au pair agency with many years of experience carefully matching au pairs with Spanish families. Combined with our wealth of experience (we have been working for over 10 years and have served over 8000 clients), we can offer the best in au pairing as well as the best Spanish language courses. Therefore our au pair service offers more benefits than au pairing alone.
Don’t apply if…
- You don’t like children. This may seem obvious, but many people assume that they can cope if it means a low-cost way to go abroad. You will be spending a large part of your time with children so bear this in mind. Of course you can specify what age range you would prefer but bear in mind that you will usually be looking after under 10s.
- You want to do your own thing. You will be living with a family, which means living by their rules. If you want to stay out late and invite friends over to the house then this may clash with the family. Also, you will be treated as an extra member of the family and will often be expected to attend family events and outings.
- You want to work abroad. Au pairing is not a proper job as such, but rather a cultural experience. Of course, you will earn a weekly allowance but it is not a large amount.
- You don’t like doing chores. Obviously your job is to be an au pair and not a cleaner, but you will be expected to lend a hand with household chores sometimes.